Meet the Thurmans

Meet the Thurmans

September 13, 2006

Thurman Update #24 (written Sept12th 06)

It has been over a year since we began our journey towards finding a home for our family; it has paralleled our ministry exploration. We believe our home is to be a strategic beachhead for a ministry expression in downtown Phoenix—focused on developing and shepherding a community of ‘apprentices’ to Jesus that will serve the Church, transform the community and bless the nations. This vision will allow us to build upon the International work in Cyprus, Germany, Bosnia, Senegal, and Mexico, as we train others in missions and invite them into the work.

Since this house downtown would be such vital part to the ministry, we now better understand the spiritual opposition we have encountered over the past few months. Things hit a head 3 weeks ago, when those we were working with abruptly turned on us and basically said they were going to take the house away. Here is one short example that illustrates the battle for the house:

“God, what shall we do? They are trying to take the house away!”
“Ask me to bless those who are treating you unjustly?”
“But God….okay but I need you to work this mercy and love in me, because I am full of anger and frustration. Lord I do ask that you would touch their hearts, that they might know your love and peace, and bless this project regardless of whether we get the house... Now what Lord?”
“Go talk to the director in person.”
“But Lord she has not been working with me at all!”
“Go and I will go before you.”

When I first showed up I was treated very rudely by the director and she said she would not talk with me and even walked away as I was talking to her. But with courage from the Lord, I followed her into her office and sat down and told her I wasn’t leaving until she spoke with me. An hour later, after explanations and apologies on both sides, I left knowing that there were still three large hurdles that had to be overcome in order to get the house, but I was aware that God had worked in her heart and she was once again for us! A week later, all three hurdles, including a need for $10,000 in additional grant money, were all overcome. One more of many miracles in this whole process! Praise the Lord!!!

We have started the closing process on the house and hopefully by end of the month we will have a home for our family and will be freed up to focus on the ministry God is calling us to! Thank you for your prayer and support!


We are grateful,

The Thurman Family—Ryan, Noleen, Ethan, & Keilah

No comments: