Meet the Thurmans

Meet the Thurmans

May 22, 2015

May Newsletter

Ministry of Reconciliation
These past several months have found us doing a lot of work in the area of reconciliation and unity in the body of Christ here locally.  We had wonderful meetings with Armenian Christians as an act of solidarity and support as they remembered the  Armenian Genocide that took place 100 years ago.













It was just over a year ago that Danny Malakowsky and I were wondering how we could connect more with our Catholic brothers and sisters in our city.  Well last month we had the chance to have lunch with both Catholic Bishops at the diocese recently with other Evangelical Christian leaders.  During our lunch Bishop Olmsted mentioned how much he appreciated our effort in Apprenticeship to Jesus to love and serve our city one neighborhood at a time.  I have especially appreciated my friendship with Bishop Nevares, on Monday night as we worshipped together he reached out and clasped my hand and held it, in this small gesture I once again experienced the oneness we have in Christ.
















In March Catholics and Protestants gathered at Living Streams to pray and worship together.  I was able to help facilitate  a time of repentance over our sinful attitudes and actions that have deepened divisions. 











This Saturday thousands will gather at the downtown Phoenix Convention Center around the theme of Reconciliation and Unity in the body of Christ.  Please join us!  If you cannot then please pray for us!  Watch this short video to learn more.  Click here

I have recently written a reflection on the importance of Christian Unity, I would love you to read it and share any thoughts.  Click here

Antioch Network Fellowship News-A story from Hanna Miley
One of my favorite stories from around the Antioch Network Fellowship comes from Hanna Miley.  On May 4th she was in Bonn, Germany at a Jewish Holocaust survivor event.  Here our her own words:  I spoke, and read from my book the details of my parents' death on May 3, 1942, in Chelmno, Poland, said the Kaddish and then several Germans shared about their family history. Then, to my utter shock and amazement, a man came to the microphone and said, with tears and sorrow, “My grandfather was an SS officer in Chelmno. He was involved in the murder of Jews while your parents were there, Hanna. He was never punished for his crimes. I don't know what I can do except to ask for forgiveness." I found myself rising from my seat and approaching him. We embraced. I forgave him. Afterwards several came and shared their burdens of family guilt.




Noleen and Keilah's Trip to Zimbabwe















Noleen and Keilah had a great trip.  Noleen was able to reconnect with missionaries she had partnered with back when she was in college and Keilah was able to experience Noleen's homeland and a people so dear to her heart.  Keilah was incredible in the whole process from raising almost $400 dollars to take to the orphanage by selling cookies and lemonade at her school, to being hands on from the moment she arrived at the orphanage loving on the children.















Hope Fest Year 4









Once again A2J was given the privilege of supporting this awesome event.  It is truly Inspiring. Uplifting. Amazing! Treating homeless people with dignity!! BY THE NUMBERS -- Volunteers provided: Combined Meals: 75,000 Overall Attendance: 20,000 Number of Volunteers: 2,400 Medical Procedures: 5,000 Vision Screenings: 303 Immunizations: 300 Medical Exams: 200 Dental Patients: 115 HIV Screenings: 74 Haircuts: 902 Career Services Intake: 700 


















Join our Support Team

The work we do serving Antioch Network as President and the work of Apprenticeship to Jesus is all made possible by the generous support of God's people.  If you would like to support us you can do so by clicking here 

We are grateful,

Love,
Ryan and Noleen

No comments: