Meet the Thurmans

Meet the Thurmans

September 3, 2014

December 2010



The race we are called to run is a long one.  As I close in on mile marker 2011 I am limping and exhausted.  At times I forgot to listen to my 'Coach' and other times I lost focus and turned left when I should of gone right and other times found my body shutting down from dehydration as I settled for less than the living water of Christ.  

This year has been full of growth with its ensuing pains.  I have struggled to reconcile the deep desire to live a simple life of prayer and devotion to Christ with the equally strong desire to immerse myself within the chaotic wreckage of humanity all around me.  I have found my soul weary and my mind distracted as I try to lead my young and active family and this growing new ministry.
Yet I have great hope in our God who remembers and is full of mercy and love.
 He remembered us in our low estate 

His love endures forever.-Psalm 136:23

Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, 
and the judgments he pronounced,-I Chronicles 16:12

As I have obeyed this command to remember over these past few days, I am reminded again that obedience is for our own good, it leads to life abundant, the kind of life Christ came to give us.   As I have reflected on God's goodness and faithfulness in 2010 I have found myself strongly aware of God's Presence with me and in His Presence is peace, life, and fullness of joy.

I will keep running, it is what I was created and called to do knowing well that each leg of the race is different some are easier and the beauty and joy more visible and other legs more trying and the joy and beauty are dimmed by looming storm clouds but at the finish we experience the fullness of seeing Christ face to face, the one who has gone before us, and now runs with us.

A Quick Glimpse At 2010 

From Turkey to Poland to establishing the Mishkan Prayer House to being faithful to the call to love the refugee among us, this year has been full of God's blessing and abundant provision.  I am reminded that this work belongs to God from start to finish.


Antioch Network Gathering in Antakya, Turkey
Part of the A2J team in Taursus, Turkey


Saint Peter's Church in Antioch, Turkey

















Praying in Saint Peters Church together with Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant brothers and sisters from all different traditions and countries powerfully opened our eyes to the passion of our Lord Jesus that his people would be one and would love one another

Neighborhood Transformation-following Jesus among our neighbors
Community Kids Carnival
Season of Service Work Day
Community Meal
Blockwatch Party




2010 brought a new level of involvement and engagement in our community.  We continued our barbecues, carnivals, workdays and added block watch, and a community garden.  We also began to have weekly days set aside for prayer walking through our community.  Our leadership strengthened as we partnered with Jeff Evilsizor who is leading a model of holistic community development called neighborhood transformation. 

Poland trip to Remember Hanna's Parents, killed in the Holocaust
Celebration Dinner honoring Hanna's Parents


Praying in cattle car, used to transport Jews to death camps











This trip was really meaningful as God showed us that when God's kingdom comes and we learn to become like Christ we have the power to forgive and bless our enemies


Refugee Ministry
Dinner and Socializing with our refugee friends
Keilah and Fatima
We have been growing in our capacity to faithfully love the refugee individuals
and families that God has brings into our community, we mentor, and invest in them while they are with us and when they move we follow them and continue to walk along side them caring for their physical and spiritual needs.

Nazita, Sepideh and Christy
  Elyana and Kays



The Dawood Family


Ahmad, Fatima, and Keilah at Thanksgiving
Rahimi Family
  

A2J Prayer House for the city
Prayer Gathering at Mishkan House
Compine Prayer at the Mishkan House








                                                                      Mishkan is the Hebrew word for tabernacle.   The Mishkan House is a set-aside-place where God's tabernacle, his people that is, can gather to be together in his presence and pray for our city. Establishing our lives and ministry around a life of prayer is essential.  We see the Mishkan House being used of God to bring God's people together in unity and love of Christ to pray and minister to our city and world.

Apprenticeship to Jesus Life In Community 
Fall 2010 Retreat
Hanging out
Impromptu dance party
Spring 2010 Retreat
Concert fun










     



                                                                                                                                               


  God created us to express his image in the context of community.  In community we learn not only how to be with and to love one another, we also learn how to be with God and to love him. 
Thank you for being a part of our lives; we are grateful for your love and support of our family and the Apprenticeship to Jesus Ministry.  We look forward to all God has for us in 2011.  I will leave you with a quote that I came across last night that deeply encouraged me.

"We do not have to be saviors of the world!  We are simply human beings, enfolded in weakness and in hope, called together to change our world one heart at a time."
-From Becoming Human by Jean Vanier

No comments: